So, what is this?
rComments is a browser extension that lets Redditors traverse through comments and their replies directly from the front pages of any subreddit. All you have to do is hover over the 'comments' link and a popup appears allowing you to read through the top comments and their replies.
What does it look like?
Alright not bad... how much is it?
What about privacy?
The extension is stateless - it does not store any information at all. All it needs is permission to read and change data on reddit.com sites, which is necessary in order to fetch and render comments.
Where is your so called "code"?
Here. I used jQuery. Sue me. Update: HAHA! Removed jQuery! Down to 11.3 KB!
Version 1.5.0 (Upcoming, not released yet)
- ✨ Added automatic extraction of alternative angles (AA) and mirror links from the stickied moderator posts on r/soccer and r/nba. Now you can immediately view all the additional links without having to look through comments! Check it out ⬇️
How it works: When the extension detects that the first comment is an AA/Mirror comment, it automatically fetches all of the first-level replies which have links and turns them in an easy-to-digest table. The table can be viewed by clicking the "AA/Mirrors" button that shows up next to the "Next Reply".
See a bug? Please create an issue on the project's Github.
Version 1.4.0 (Current) - Released June 23rd, 2021
- ✨ Added HUGE performance boost in viewing additional comments by implementing batched queries. Instead of waiting for the next comment to load, additional comment replies will now render instantly (like, in 1 millisecond), as opposed to the ~250-500ms previously.
- 🐛 Fixed bug causing duplicate posts to appear when the first comemnt was a stickied mod comment.
✨ Added functionality when the first comment of a post is a stickied mod comment. Now, rComments will automatically load the next comment for you. Thanks to @arafatamim for submitting the feature request!
- Do you have feedback? Please add an issue on Github with your thoughts.
- ✨ Added comment flair for both stickied and moderator comments to better differentiate them from regular comments.
- 🤖 Added Typescript, Jest, and Prettier to the project.
- 🤖 Changed webpack configuration to support Typescript! The plan is to gradually migrate the whole project to Typescript, but there is no rush.
- 🤖 Refactored html generation code out to its own .ts module, with Jest tests.
- 🤖 Added prettier yarn commands for simpler formatting.
- ✨Added full markdown style support on the new Reddit. This means headers, spoilers, tables, bolding - all styles are now correctly rendered within the rComments popup.
- ✨ Added readability improvements for new Reddit, such as increasing line-height and paragraph margins.
✨ Added markdown stylings for
<sup>elements comments for new Reddit (old Reddit was unaffected)
- 🐛 Fixed bug where gilded icons were rendering INCREDIBLY large on new reddit popup.
- ✨ Added comment gilding icons on old reddit.
- ✨ Added comment gilding icons on new reddit
- 🐛 Fixed voting on old reddit. Upvote and downvote comments directly from the rComments popup when logged in (not yet supported on new Reddit).
- Added support for Firefox! See rComments in the FireFox Addon Store